I HAVEN’T DONE THIS (DRAWING CARPETS) IN A YEAR! God, it was so incredibly daunting but I did it. And I am happy for how it turned out.
Here’s a breakdown of the symbolism in the carpet –
- The star with fetter inside. Symbolises two families uniting.
- The tree of life. Stock Islamic iconography. I like to think it represents heritage, and obviously life. I’ve drawn three here, though the third isn’t obvious.
- The diamond with the +s inside. Protection.
- The stick icon that looks like a comb. Protection.
- The two triangles adjoined by a line. Also protection.
- Red and blue, because, that’s the colour palette of this comic now.
- The big Ushak star motif on the right hand page.
- The geometric nightingale and bat.